The FloodBreak® FreeView Levee Topper (FVLT) is an innovative passive flood mitigation product that enables levees to be raised for recertification and FEMA accreditation without blocking views or increasing the levee footprint. Designed for long, continuous straight runs, there is no practical length limitation. Like all FloodBreak passive flood barriers, it is modular in nature with tension members rather than stanchions or vertical stops.
Passive Flood Protection for Levees – the FloodBreak FreeView Levee Topper protects people and property 24/7 without human intervention or power.
Suitable for riverine or coastal applications.
During non-flood times, the barrier sits in the rest position, recessed in the levee crown, preserving existing views and allowing normal pedestrian or bicycle traffic.
When the river level rises, water flows under the hinged buoyant barrier and floats it up to its design height while self-activating gaskets seal against the wiper walls.
FVLT product design summary:
- Sits on a structural space frame within a formed in place concrete pan.
- Mounts to a structural footing (i.e. piling or wall system) to support loads from hydrostatic pressure.
- Structural support is provided by tension arms which allow practically unlimited deployment lengths without vertical stanchions.
- Designed to withstand impact from floating debris with a safety factor built in.
FreeView Levee Topper Benefits
- Meets elevation requirements for levee recertification and FEMA accreditation without increasing the existing levee height or extending the grading slope.
- Provides protection for riverine and coastal situations.
- Preserves existing views. Flood protection without blocking the view.
- Eliminates the need to acquire land to extend the levee footprint.
- Designed for long continuous runs.
- Deploys automatically, lifted by the rising floodwater during flood times.
- Self-draining and self-retracting. Like all FloodBreak passive flood barriers, the lid will float back down as the water recedes.
- Long service life with minimal maintenance. A one or two man crew with simple hand tools and a pressure washer can accomplish this procedure.
Questions? Please contact us